Monday 18 June 2012

Strawberry Pie-- Oh My!


My blog is back! After a bit of a hiatus, I’ve decided to get back into the swing of things. I couldn’t have picked a better time---its strawberry season here in Ontario AND June just happens to be Dairy month! (like I needed an excuse to eat more dairy!). In honour of these 2 momentous events, I have decided to dedicate my posts for the rest of the month to recipes that contain these 2 fabulous food groups.



I’ve been dreaming about this recipe for a few weeks now, but I’ll be honest---I HATE making pie crusts. I think I might just make this in a pie plate and forego the shell. It will still be fantastic. And I may or may not eat it by myself with a spoon…..

Scrumptious Strawberry Pie

Layer 1
1 baked pie shell (optional?!)
1/2 cup whipping cream
8 oz cream cheese
1/3 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Whip the cream until stiff. Beat cream cheese until smooth, add sugar, 2 tbsp whipped cream and vanilla. Fold in remaining whipped cream. Spread into pie shell and chill for 1-2 hrs

Layer 2
1 ½ boxes of strawberries
2 tbsp cornstarch
¾ c sugar
pinch of salt
1/3 c cold water
1 tbsp lemon juice
5-6 drops food colouring

Wash and hull strawberries. Pat dry. Crush enough to make 1 cup. Combine cornstarch, sugar and salt in pan. Blend in crushed berries and water, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat until thickened and smooth. Cover, cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add lemon juice and food colouring. Cool. Fold remaining berries into mixture and pour into pie.

Topping
Whip ¾ c whipping cream and fold in 1 tbsp icing sugar. Spread on pie. Bring to potluck to minimize eating entire pie alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment